Monday, July 24, 2023

A Sad Day In Model Rocketry Blog-dom.

 The past few weeks, I have been running ragged with having family staying at our home, coupled with preparation and rehearsal for a music gig with a newly formed band.

It has been about three weeks since I have had the time to sit down at the computer and peruse my favorite blogs and websites.

Imagine my surprise when I clicked into Chris Michielssen's excellent "Model Rocket Building" blog to find the words: 

"The Blog Is Done !"

The post is dated June 30, 2023.

Yep, after 13 years and hundreds of posted model rocket build threads, Chris is knocking it on the head.

My first encounter with Chris's blog was when I became a BAR in 2016. I had just purchased an Estes Lynx kit and was poking around on the web to find more information about it. The first link I encountered was a Lynx build tutorial on a site named "Model Rocket Building".

The series of posts was well-illustrated, comprehensive, and full of nifty tips and general rocket construction techniques.

My Lynx build turned out way better than I'm sure it would have had I not found that series.

Clicking on the home page link, I found a list of similar threads covering many, many other rocket builds spanning all eras and most of the various manufacturers' kits.

What an astounding body of work!

From that day forward, I was hooked.  The superb blog became part of my daily web-surfing regimen.

I can also say that Chris's blog is the primary source of inspiration for my starting up the BlastFromThePast blog !

Being in the blog-writing arena, I marvel at Chris's ability to produce a quality post every single day.  

And for thirteen years, to boot!

That level of dedication and commitment is world class.

Heck, I'm doing very well if I can manage to eke out a blog post once a week!

Anyway, if any of you readers have never had the pleasure of visiting "Model Rocket Building", I strongly urge that you do so. By absorbing Chris's incredible amount of model rocketry building tips, techniques, 'things-to-be-aware-of, and manufacturers' kit history, you can't help to become a better model builder and flier.

The link can be found above on the right side under the "Other Cool Places" list.

Chris states that he does not know how long Google will keep the blog site active.  Personally, I'm not sure if that's a worry. I've encountered some other rocketry blogs using Google's BlogSpot that haven't seen a new post as far back as 2018, and they are still up.

This is good, because I still intend to click into Chris's blog on a daily basis.  There remain vast amounts of older posts and build threads that I have yet to view.

Rocket on....


1 comment:

  1. The Original Rocket Dungeon is no longer able to be accessed, but that appears to be more of a matter of the blog owner pulling permission to view. Hopefully Chris's will be around longer.

    ReplyDelete