Thursday, October 28, 2021

Binge Build: A Detracting Dose of 'Die-Crushed' Defects

 Ok, as I was preparing to get started brushing thinned CWF on the fins of my group-built rockets, I happened to note that some of the end grain edges of the Big Daddy fins were in pretty sad shape.

This of course, was a result of Estes' not-so-great 1990s' era balsa sheet die-cutting process.

I had to set to work with spackling on some thicker CWF to fill the gaps and holes, and sanding the edges smooth.

Now things are in proper order, so I can get back to grain filling and (sigh).....much sanding.

3 comments:

  1. I have an old Big Daddy kit with no die-crush marks at all. Only because the balsa was never cut. Three perfectly unblemished sheets of balsa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like I can send you a scan of the fin pattern.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually have built one so I have the pattern.

      Delete