Thursday, January 30, 2020

A Shorter Hornet...

This past Sunday, January 26th, I participated in a launch session with several Colorado front range rocketeers.
The first flight of the day was my old flagship, the Estes Hornet.  This would be the bird's  49th flight.


The model boosted nicely, but at ejection there was...no parachute.
Lawn Dart.
Upon recovery and failure analysis, I found that the motor had ejected without pushing anything out the front.
And here's what that front looked like:



The impact had completely jammed the nose into the payload tube about 1/4 inch.
It took a bit of effort to remove it.
The damage to the tube was substantial, so rather than attempting to glue it all back together, I chose to amputate the whole mess.


The old bird is now ready for its 50th and final launch.  It's just a tad bit shorter than before.


That aside, I will be posting about Sunday's launch session when I get all the pics and info sorted out.
Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment