Monday, August 7, 2023

Viking IV Scale Model Back On The Bench

 Now that the Deltie Airshow construction is finished and the model is in the paint queue, I've pulled out the tray containing the parts of a Viking IV scale model, first started about this time last year.

If you remember, the model was included in the 2022 binge-build, which never quite fully materialized.

So far, the main tube is cut to length, seam-filled, and marked out.  The motor mount is also assembled and installed.

The fins are cut to size, and I am now in the process of sanding the airfoil facets into them.  

This is my first serious attempt at shape-sanding scale fins, so they may not turn out exactly perfect.  

Here's a progress pic:

Even though I am attempting to do my most careful and precise scale-building work, this model is intended to be flown as a sport bird, with which (I hope) to log a lot of flights. 

It definitely will never see anything close to NAR-style scale competition!

I'll let you blog readers in on a little secret - I've modified my upcoming build list to include a goodly number of scale models.  Some will be from kits, while many more will be scratch-built.

Many of the single-stage sounding rocket replicas on the list will be built at BT-20 size and powered by 13mm motors.

Think NAR 'Peanut' Sport-Scale. 

With all of the 'fiddly-little-parts' experience gained from the recent build of the highly detailed Steampunk Protostar, I perceive that I am equipped to tackle a lot of small detail on BT-20-sized scalers.

Should be fun...and challenging!

1 comment:

  1. I have a 13mm Wasserfall that I started a few years back using Peter Alway's Scale Bash. I wasn't happy with how the fins turned out and got discouraged. I need to excavate that and give the fins another go.

    ReplyDelete