Saturday, April 9, 2022

The Time Draws Near...

Having progressed a number of days beyond the Vernal Equinox, I have noted that at 7:00 a.m. MST, the sun is breaking the eastern horizon here in Castle Rock, Colorado, and illuminating the field at Douglas County High School, a favorite launch location. 

This is the time of morning at which I am finished with my daily workout ritual at the local rec center.

This means that it's time to start thinking about resuming my early morning 'shoe box' rocket launches which I began conducting last summer.

I have only to wait until the morning air temperatures start reaching into the mid-50s.

Better start getting some birds prepped....

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping to fly a few yesterday, but it was a bit breezy when Maria and I returned from brunch. I have a box of rockets ready if the field clears anytime this week, but it's more like the box that the shoe box fits in for shipping. I'm currently at 1991 flights, so nine will give me 2000. Guess I better think up something special for that flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2000 flights! That's a great milestone.
    Here's one suggestion for the 'something special': This is what I did after the 50th flight of my first model rocket: Find a coin bearing the year you flew your first model rocket, along with a coin dated 2022. Fly both inside a payload section attached to your 200th flight model. After the flight, retire the model and mount it in a display case or shadow box along with the two coins,the spent motor casing, and a photo or two of the flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool idea. I have an old stock Estes Beta that I just finished. I'm planning on flying it as a single stage, just like my first flight in 1977. Bowing to old age, I'm not planning to fly it on an A10-3T. Or over asphalt.

      Delete
  3. One quick note: if you go with flying coins, be aware that a US dime doesn't fit in anything smaller than BT-30.

    ReplyDelete