Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Binge Build: A Deluge of Decals, Part 1

 Now comes the fun part of doing any model rocket build - seeing the whole finish coming together with the application of decals and markings.

The first order of business is to design and produce a home-print decal sheet with a number of custom patterns, numbers and other details.

Here is a photo of this sheet included with all of the other kit decals.


Here are the first two models of the build to get the decal / marking treatment, completed December 12th:

The Interceptor. That's a lot of decals!!


...and the Nike-X.   Note the different roll pattern below the front fins.  I totally screwed up the original kit decal when applying it to the model.  It initially went down with a lot of wrinkles.  In the process of trying to carefully straighten it out, it sustained a severe tear right down the 'show side'.  After several attempts to fix things, I only managed to mess it up further. Conceding a total loss, I removed the whole mess.  My decal folder happened to have some nice checkerboard pattern decals, so I cut and applied one of those instead.  
I kind of like it better than the original.


I also did the fin and body decals a bit differently.  They were made to be applied as one piece with a narrow clear area nestled into the fin root. After placing the first one, I didn't like how it looked, so the remaining similar decals were carefully cut apart at that seam line and applied individually.
To make things look even better, I used a black Sharpie to color in the fin/body separation lines and extend the patterns out to the edge of the fins.  This looks way better, in my opinion.
On a whim, I applied some red permanent marker to the aft fin edges, just to break up the black and white monotony.


These two models are now ready for clear coating.

Stay tuned.....




No comments:

Post a Comment