Monday, November 22, 2021

Binge Build: A Primo Primer Painting Party !

 Today, the weather in Castle Rock, Colorado was absolutely perfect: temperatures in the mid-60s, lots of sunshine, and no wind.

In reality, I should have taken advantage of these conditions to be out at the flying field launching rockets, but instead I chose to haul all of my binge-build models up the long staircase from the basement la-BOR-atory.

Since I'm hoping to get these birds completed by the end of the year, it was deemed that such a great weather day should be best spent shooting primer coats.

Before I had them all done, I ran out of primer paint, thus requiring a trip to the nearby automotive parts store to pick up another can of Dupli-Color gray.

Here are all of the models set out to dry:

Tomorrow - more sanding....


8 comments:

  1. That is a lot of rockets in primer! I have parallel builds going usually, but I’ve never done all the priming (or painting) at once. Looking forward to seeing paint. It’s been nice here, too, so I did a bit of painting the other day. Maybe one of the nicest days for painting that I recall for Fall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lee,
    Yep..gittin' 'em done! I took a big risk btmy having these rockets sitting out to dry in that particular spot. This I'd the same location where I had neighbor kids throwing rocks at drying models last Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doggone, too many fat finger typos and 'Smart' phone word insertions in that last reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did some priming and painting yesterday, the priming on a Rocketarium 13mm Trident and the painting on the fins of an upscaled FSI Voyager that's been in primer for 8 years or so. The Voyager fins were sprayed red and last night at dinner my wife asked if she'd washed my grey hoodie with something. Turned out to be the red paint from the fins. It was warmish yesterday, but windy.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story, Bill! 8 years in primer...wow!
    Probably very gratifying to finally get it done.
    I will be taking advantage of nice weather this week to get base coats on these birds.
    Only two have been through primer sanding.
    Also have another Dove Valley launch scheduled for Thursday. Looking at 70 degrees and average 2mph winds. Boost/glider weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, more like nine years. I flew it in 2012 and it's in primer in the pics. It's actually got a very rough spot at the coupler where the upper tube got saturated by either glue or Fill & Finish and dried badly. Kinda sapped my enthusiasm for the project.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Bill,
    That seems to be a common experience with me as well - making a build mistake that kind of takes the wind out of the soil as far as finishing a project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should be 'sail'.....think I'm about ready to disable the word insertion feature on this 'not-so-smart' phone!

    ReplyDelete