Friday, April 20, 2018

A Super-Cool Dumpster-Diving Find

Every so often, an unexpected object will drop right out of the blue and into our laps.
This happened to me yesterday at my workplace.
I was performing the mundane task of hauling some packing boxes out to throw in the trash dumpster. On my way, I noticed some black objects lying behind the dumpster enclosure alongside a stack of discarded wood pallets.
A closer look revealed them to be a pair of used, heavy duty audio monitor stands!


  Someone from one of the neighboring businesses had apparently tossed them out there, likely with the intention of someone - like me - finding them and making good use of them.
Of course, being a rocket geek, I immediately recognized them as a splendid pair of wide-footprint MPR-worthy launch pad tripods!
I couldn't believe my luck in stumbling across these items.
And I didn't even have to actually dig them out of the dumpster!
Everything seems to be in working order with them, and they only need a little cleaning and paint touch up here and there.
Here's a pic of one of the units set up in my basement shop, all ready to be converted into a launch pad.

At the moment, I am not into MPR, but perhaps this beastie could be the catalyst that would change all that. 
We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ed,
    Great find! I have two of those in the garage, used them over the past 35 years holding speakers in my shows. I always thought they could be the base of a great heavier duty launcher. Mine are aluminum, I've seen them made of steel. The steel tripods can be heavy.
    Just be careful not to over tighten the knobs. If the stand is older, the plastic might be brittle. I've had one crack before.
    I ran across a camera tripod in a trash can once. It is now an extra tripod launcher stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play in a band and I hate lifting speakers onto these things! However, they would make nice launch stands...

      Delete