Monday, January 11, 2021

A Late, But Cool Christmas Gift

 Because of Covid precautions a couple of weeks ago, we missed a few family members at our Christmas celebration.

Yesterday, we were finally able to get with them for a 2nd Christmas at the BlastFromThePast home.

I came away with another awesome model kit for the build queue: an Estes Interceptor.

I never got around to building one back in the Old Fleet days, so I am delighted to have this iconic classic in the new BAR collection.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. You may have noticed a slight change in the markings in the reissue -- in particular the markings that used to read "USAF" and "U.S. AIR FORCE" have been changed to "USA" and "AIR FORCE" (ostensibly due to licensing -- similar reason for why the Mini Honest John kit has marking that reads "U.S. MILITARY" rather than "U.S. ARMY"). Depending on how much of a "purist" you happen to be you may or may not be compelled to "correct" this. As for myself, I was pleased to see a reissue, as it gives me an opportunity to build one of many kits that I'd wanted but missed before they went out-of-production. Perhaps went a bit overboard -- as I picked up several when the reissue first appeared at the local hobby shop (one to build as the Interceptor, another for possibly kitbashing into a repro of the Vindicator, and a few more as "spares" for future projects). Have contemplated possible alternate markings (based on what has been used on F-104).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember picking up the (now OOP) Venom kit mainly for the PNC-50SP nosecone (a nosecone seen on the World Federation Star Probe, Soaring Eagle, Skytracer, etc.) -- it looked like it could be used for a (roughly 3/4 size) clone of the Interceptor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Naoto. I noticed the differences in decals as well, but don't mind too much. I'm just glad there is a re-issue of this iconic design!
    For the purists, JimZ has scans of the original K-50 decals from which home prints can be made.

    ReplyDelete