Wednesday, October 17, 2018

NAR 60th Year Reunion, Part 18 - A Very Cool Steampunk Rocket!

This post about the reunion is a tad bit late.

I had taken this photo at the event of this rocketeer and his very impressive upscale 'Steampunk' Orion Starfighter. 



Unfortunately, I had forgotten the gentleman's name, and his name tag in the photo is not very clear.
I didn't want to post this pic without the accompanying information.

After doing a little sleuthing and querying on one of the rocket forums, I learned that the gentleman's name is Steve Riegel. 

I found his name and email address on the list of reunion attendees, also noting that he is affiliated with COSROCs.  That means he lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, a mere hop and a skip from where I live in Castle Rock!  (Well, actually a 40 mile drive...I do not hop or skip...).

Anyway, I established email contact with Steve yesterday, and he replied back.

The model Steve is holding is highly detailed, featuring MANY rivets made from carefully applied glue spots. 

Steve stated that Vern Estes signed the model at the reunion, and the authors of a Steampunk Rocketry article published in Sport Rocketry Magazine autographed it the next day.

"It had one final flight with good results and is now honorably retired.", wrote Steve.

I'm very pleased that I was able to find the info to post this (thanks Nytrunner!). 

Very fitting, as well, since the BlastFromThePast Blog has kinda' been all about 'steampunkery' as of late.

Nice work, Steve!

-Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment