Friday, May 4, 2018

Hangin' Out With 'Mr. Cineroc', Part 10 - Wrappin' Things Up


Well, boys and girls, this is likely the final post in the main body of this series about Herb Desind. 

The final letter from Herb  I possess is from late 1978.  I am not sure why we lost touch.  It was probably because of some changes that were going on in my life at the time.  I had just purchased a home, was finishing up college and starting my career in electronics, and got married in early 1979.  Also, I had been appointed as Mountain States Regional Manager for the NAR around that time, so my primary focus in model rocketry shifted  to assisting other NAR rocketeers in getting some sections started, some activities going, as well as planning a large Regional contest (HOTROC-1) in August of 1979. 
 
Even though I had built  Mountaineer III and still had a Cineroc in my possession, I ceased doing any more flying for Herb.  I just had too many other irons in the fire.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed reading the small amount of information I was able to share here.  I certainly had fun, and a lot of good memories, as I pored through the correspondence and photographic material.
I also thank those of you who wrote responses, both here and on the forums.  There were a lot of folks who knew Herb and had more anecdotes and information to share.
Once I get the Cineroc films I have from Herb transferred to digital format, I may post some updates here on the blog.  Also, I may compile a listing of all the Cineroc flights that Herb mentioned throughout the letters I received from him.  He described a lot of locations and contests where he flew Cinerocs, along with a little info about how many he flew and some references to motor combinations used.  Some of this stuff could prove useful for anyone out there who might be cataloguing and/or researching his vast Cineroc  flight activities.
Quite a guy, methinks…..
Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. great to read all of this - many thanks for your efforts here !
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Very happy that you found this little corner of model rocketry on the web. It's very nice to hear from someone who was able to hang around with Herb back in the day.
    He was quite an interesting individual.

    ReplyDelete