Friday, April 27, 2018

Hangin' Out With 'Mr. Cineroc' - Part 5 - Herb at NARWIN-1

In a letter dated January 6, 1978, Herb wrote;

"Now on to other things.  I went to NARWIN-1 'Winter Nationals' in Phoenix over Christmas.  They were great and well run.  I met Stine, L. Reese, and many others."

A month later, a letter dated February 6, 1978 arrived in my mailbox with a nice surprise.
Herb had sent along some photos he took at NARWIN-1.

Here are scans of those pictures along with Herb's descriptive texts:

  "An F-100 powered Class 5 altitude of G. Harry Stine, who is seen launching the rocket."

"A blow-through of an Estes D12-7 in a super-roc--show that one to the guys at Estes."

"One of Gary Rosenfield's G-engine rockets he was showing captured at the moment of liftoff.'

There was a fourth photograph enclosed in the letter, but I am unable to locate that one.  The description Herb wrote reads:

"A scale bird which went on to crash into little bits for reasons I do not know."

If there is one of you old timer rocketeers out there who happened to be at NARWIN-1 in December, 1977, and are the owner of such a scale entry that crashed, please enlighten me!

4 comments:

  1. I attended NARWIN-1 and entered F altitude competition. I competed with Lonnie Reese. He flew a single F100. I read the rules carefully and found I cold fly 2 stage E60-F100 and stay under the power and propellant mass limits because both were "cheater" motors. The F100 was really about an E48 and the E60 was about an E30, as tested by NAR. My rocket flew to 1041 meters, a new world record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Glad to hear from someone who was there. I've done some internet searches and have not found very much info on the contest. Thanks for the reply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the old Model Rocketeer coverage of NARWIN-1 and uploaded it here: http://www.billcooke.org/files/narwin_1._MR_1978Mar.pdf

    No mention of the scale crash, but they do talk about Stine's rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Bill, Thank you so much for the link! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete