Wednesday, March 15, 2017

MPC Lunar Patrol Clone Part 1

Way back in 1974, during the fledgling days of my model rocket career, I placed an order with Model Products Corporation for some rocket kits and engines.
The order included the Flatcat, a Flare Patriot, a Theta-Cajun, and a Lunar Patrol.
The latter intrigued me because of the pair of delta-wing gliders that served double purpose as the model's fins.
I built the model and took it to one of the club meets to launch it.
When the launch button was pressed, I didn't get the expected soaring flight. 
Instead, the model blew up on the pad! 
A seriously defective MPC 'A' engine ripped the booster rocket completely apart, and the gliders fluttered to the ground.
Aftermath of the original Lunar Patrol maiden 'flight.'

Undaunted, I soon built a replacement booster out of some Estes parts I had hanging around, with a few deviations from the original design.

With the two original gliders, the new 'Lunar Patrol II' turned in many successful flights over the next several years.  The bird was a joy to fly, and quickly took its place as one of my fleet favorites.  It was quite a sight to see the model shoot straight up and separate into three parts that all descended gracefully.  The Lunar Patrol was a real crowd pleaser at club demo launches as well.

The Lunar Patrol II ready for launch sometime in 1975 at
a ROMAR club meet.

Sadly, when I exited the hobby in 1985, the Lunar Patrol was sold along with the bulk of my model rocket collection to another local rocket enthusiast.  To this day I wonder if that individual continued flying some of my models.  How many more flights were logged on the Lunar Patrol unbeknownst to me.  Anyway......

Now, as a full fledged, active BAR, one of the top priorities on the build list is another Lunar Patrol.

More to come on that.....






2 comments:

  1. Glad your back. Keep up the good work.
    Like the subjects you pick to build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the kids that got my old fleet in the early 80's. They were the younger brothers of one of my college friends. He asked them if they remembered flying any of them, but they couldn't even remember having them.

    ReplyDelete